ZACH & GEORGIA'S VEGAN COCKTAILS
BEAT THOSE ISOLATION BLUES WITH SOME ISOLATION BOOZE
By Zach Roberts and Georgia Hogge
Well, well, the weekend is here. The sun is out, Melbourne had 2 cases today. It’s a good day. Time to get on the beers. Or better yet, kickstart your Friday with some cocktails. Zach and Georgia have compiled a list of vegan friendly cocktails to enjoy with your bubble buddy.
- Aquafaba is a fancy word for chickpea juice and is a vegan alternative to egg whites. One tablespoon (or 15ml) is equivalent to 30ml of egg whites (or one egg yolk). Also, a perk to using Aquafaba is you don’t have to strain it when you pour as it isn’t full of stringy pieces like egg whites. This means you can just shake and dump.
- If you don’t own a cocktail shaker, a water bottle can be a good alternative.
- Use fresh citrus if possible, this helps avoid the gnarly hangover the next day. If you can’t afford it, then just steal them from Coles. They won’t check your pockets.
- Sugar syrup is easy to make, it is just equal parts sugar and water that you bring to a boil on the stove. Cool in the fridge and you’re good to go!
Passion Fruit Mojito
Full of more passion than my dead marriage, but the same amount of booze.
ï 60ml White or yellow rum
ï 15ml Sugar syrup
ï ½ to 1 full lime (quartered)
ï Handful of mint
ï 1-2 Passion fruits
ï Soda water
1. Grab a tall glass and something to smoosh with (back of a wooden spoon or thin rolling pin will work well)
2. Pour in Rum and sugar syrup, add in quartered limes and muddle with your instrument (Muddling releases the juices and oils in the lime). A good 5 or 6 pumps should lead to a nice release.
3. Clap the handful of mint so it gets all nice and smelly; add to glass. Then smell your hands (your welcome).
4. Add the insides of the passion fruit too.
5. Pour in ice
6. Fill ¾ of the way up with soda, give it a bit of a mix with a spoon or straw to get all the ingredients to mix.
7. Top the rest and garnish with a mint sprig or lime wheel.
A classic cocktail that never fails to please.
ï 60ml Disaronno Amaretto
ï 30ml Lemon juice
ï 15ml Aquafaba (Chickpea juice)
ï 15ml sugar syrup
1. Add Amaretto, lemon juice, aquafaba and sugar syrup to cocktail shaker.
2. Close, give it a quick tap to make sure it is sealed and dry shake for 10-20 seconds to aerate the aquafaba (This gives it a nice foam at the end).
3. Open and add ice, shake for another 30 seconds.
4. Pour into a glass and garnish with a lemon wedge or maraschino cherry if you’d like.
Vegan White Russian
A play on the cocktail popularised by “The Dude” in The Big Lebowski. Perfect for an afternoon spend in your pyjamas or getting caught up in an elaborate ransom narrative.
ï 50ml Vodka
ï 50ml Kahlua
ï 100ml plant-based milk (hot tip, we prefer oat milk as it doesn’t congeal)
1. Add Vodka and Kahlua to a glass with a nice amount of ice.
2. Pour over plant-based milk of your liking.
3. Sit back and relax.
A refreshing drink for a nice spring afternoon (that you won’t remember the end of)!
ï 30ml Licor 43
ï 30ml Tequila (your pick, just don’t go Jose Cuervo or you’re a scumbag)
ï 30ml Lime juice
1. Add Licor 43, Tequila and Lime juice into a shaker.
2. Add Ice and shake it like it won’t stop crying.
3. Strain into glass, can serve either straight up or on ice (your choice).
4. Garnish with a lime wheel (or any shape you want, I like a good hexagon).
Zooper Dooper Daquiri
Ahhh, remember zooper doopers? Time for a jazzed-up adult alternative.
ï 50ml white rum
ï 1 zooper dooper (flavour of your choosing) (fairyfloss bangs)
1. Whizz it all up in a blender, it’s as simple as that!
2. OR, pre-make from room temperature, pour contents back into tube, reseal with a hair straightener, refreeze and BANG, alcoholic icy pole.
Punchy Vodka Lime Soda
This recipe was handed over to us by our dear friend Ruby, a punchy individual. Double the vodka, half the burn (and recollection).
ï 100ml Vodka (she likes Russian Standard- it’s shit-cheap and quite tasty. She calls it “the Greygoose of the working people”)
ï Half a lime (quartered)
ï 100ml soda water
1. Squeeze the lime over ice in a glass.
2. Add the vodka and soda, give it a swirl.
3. Enjoy responsibly.
Raspberry & Watermelon Sour
Dessert in a glass, add ice cream if you want to make a very disappointing spider.
ï 45ml Chambord
ï 30ml Lemon juice
ï 15ml Watermelon Liqueur
ï 15ml Aquafaba
1. Add Chambord, Watermelon liqueur, lemon juice and aquafaba into cocktail shaker.
2. Give it a quick dry shake for 20 seconds to aerate the aquafaba.
3. Add ice and shake for another 30 seconds or until your arm gives up (the harder the better).
4. Either strain and pour over ice or just dump it into a glass and slam that sucker back because it definitely won’t last long.
5. Garnish with a cherry, flowers or a couple of leather flakes that fell off your docs.
Follow Georgia & Zach on Instagram: